Sunday, June 13, 2010

122. TRICKING FATE WITH REVERSE PSYCHOLOGY

By letting the universe believe I am dating again, I hope to trick fate with reverse psychology. Then feign surprise on Saturday when Reindeer and I get back together. I know, I know, it is dangerous to scheme against destiny with hopes of a Reindeer future. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

Luckily for me and the charade, I receive this email from Quan Jock (Post 117):  Hoping you are well. Some more about me: I have worked/lived in different countries. My interests include traveling, reading, music, sports, museums, Broadway shows. I have tried salsa dancing and guitar lessons. Looking forward to hearing from your side.

Quickly I pull my standard response email together and hit reply.

Two days later Quan Jock emails: Hi there … I apologize for responding so late but I was having a sore throat and fever and then went to see the Broadway show "Mamma Mia". It is one of the best shows I have seen but my opinion is biased by my strong predilection to ABBA music. What kind of music do you like? Anyway I will give you a shout sometime this week. Care to share your recent pics? I am attaching couple of mine.

Okay. I know I’m not supposed to “hate” but I HATE requests for “recent photos”. I posted the maximum three snaps the matrimonial site allows and they are RECENT. Furthermore, I don’t enjoy smiling on demand or being photographed. And having photogenic Meera for a best chum doesn’t help either.

So it takes two days for me to find and edit new photos and write this email: Dear Quan Jock … Sorry to hear you were sick. Mamma Mia is on my list. I'm better about getting to museums. I, too, enjoy Abba music, though I get Dancing Queen stuck in my head for days. As far as my musical inclinations, I can make a good run of Led Zeppelin, U2, Bollywood hits, hip hop, flamenco, and jazz.

The next day Quan Jock emails: I called you yesterday evening but guess you were not there to take the call. (I was home. No one tell my mom, I wasn’t in the mood to pick up). What is a good time to call? I will try again tonight. Looking forward to hearing from your side. Feel free to give me a buzz.

Quan Jock is going to get annoyed (rightly so) if we don’t have a conversation soon. Despite my best effort, I cannot stop thinking about Reindeer. Over and over I remind myself, here is Quan Jock, a single desi man in the city sharing and expressing his interest. Ugh. All of this would be SO MUCH easier if Reindeer remembered how much he liked me. Then I wouldn’t have to pick up when Quan Jock calls.

No comments: