Monday, February 27, 2012

542. THE ROADS IN LIFE - BY DEFAULT


It’s interesting. The roads in life. How you get to where you are going when you thought you were going somewhere else.

I majored in architecture. Architecture selected from a short list of options -- Accounting, Architecture, Engineering, Law, and Medical. Despite wanting to be a heart surgeon in fourth grade, I cast aside any medical options as I have issues with the sight of blood. When I get blood drawn for my physical, I have to turn my head 270 degrees.Doubt this would be good for a career in medicine.

Since I am mathematically challenged, even with the aid of the calculator, I ruled out accounting and engineering. I thought about law for a long time – but assumed I would not be good at it. This is why assumptions are dangerous. In retrospect I think I would have been a very good lawyer. But this is how I chose architecture. By default.

Turns out I am not that great of designer because I lack patience. I did learn a lot of about problem solving, project management and how to take an idea and turn it into something that becomes a part of the built environment from my major. Architecture only enhanced my organizational skills, combine that with my interest and affinity for business communications, I stumbled into Executive Assistant work. 

And this is how I landed a little gig with an art installer, who I begin working for tomorrow.

No comments: