Thursday, December 23, 2010

260. I CAN BE ALMOST ANYTHING FOR ONE NIGHT

Tapan, Swamiji and I are sitting at Shun Lee, a high-end formal Chinese restaurant. “What looks good?” Swamiji (a Hindu priest) asks. “I love noodles,” I reply. “Swamiji and I are both vegetarians,” Tapan says. “Oh, I’m not,” I reply. “But you can be one tonight, right?” Swamiji asks and looks upon me with peculiarity. “Sure,” I reply. I can be almost anything for one night.

* * *

After dinner Tapan hails a cab and we go back to his apartment on the fourth floor of a four-floor walk-up. Thank goodness I work out. And, should this work out with Tapan, am I really going to have to carry kids up all these steps?

Once inside the apartment Swamiji sits on the floor, cross his legs and closes his eyes. Tapan leans in and says, “Swamiji is going to mediate.” I really, really, really wish I had the patience to meditate and clear my mind of all thoughts and worry. “Want to see the apartment? I think you might like it as an architect,” Tapan explains. “Sure,” I reply. I have given up explaining that I am not an architect.

The apartment is quite nice, with living, kitchen, bath and a bedroom on the lower floor. There is a circular stair up to another room and then the jewel in the crown, outdoor space and I don’t mean fire escape, I mean a big patio with tables, chairs, plants and Astroturf. “Wow, this is NICE!” I reply. “I know, it’s why I took the apartment and I am getting a deal, too. I took over a friend’s lease,” he explains. “Who knew there were stars in Manhattan!” I muse and stare at the black sky, studded in shiny stars. “The full moon is pretty amazing, you should come back and see that some time,” Tapan says.

We return to the living room and Swamiji is done meditating. “What did you? Nice apartment right?” he asks and winks at Tapan. “It’s a great apartment,” I agree and sit on the couch. Tapan sits on the other side and Swamiji continues sitting on the floor. We make light conversation until Tapan says, “Women don’t realize what a distraction they are.” “I’m sorry, what?” I ask. “You heard me,” Tapan says and nods. Swamiji flashes a huge smile and leans in forward, seeming very interested in how this conversation will unveil itself. “This is a woman’s problem?” I ask. “Yes,” Tapan says and nods. “Really? I am tired of women be blamed for men’s issues,” I reply. “How’s that?” Tapan asks. “The issue here is, men are weak, unable to resist the attraction, thereby feeling the distraction and then blaming the source of adulation, who did nothing wrong. She didn’t ask to distract to him, now did she? And why didn’t he resist?” I say. Swamiji laughs and claps his hands, “Well done! Are you lawyer?” “No,” I say and glance over at Tapan who smiles and accepts defeat.

Ten minutes later I saw good bye to Swamiji. Tapan and I pack the computer up into tote bags. Outside Tapan hails a cab and tucks me and the computer into it, shuts the door and waves. I wave back and then the taxi lurches west and north to the Heights.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this Tapan. Why is it that we always want the 'bad' guy for us, but we leave the Tapan's as back ups? I had a girlfriend who told me to 'ctl alt delete' this out of myself. So when I see the nice, safe guys, I literally have to remind myself: 'CTL ALT DELETE' and go for it. You should too Desi Girl!

Anonymous said...

agreed. Tapan seems very relaxed, MUCH more sane than the bipolar fluxing of T&C. Everyone has their T&C - but eventually everyone moves on because that ridiculousness is unsustainable. And you deserve better.

101 Bad Desi Dates said...

Dear Anonymous ...

Tapan is indeed a nice man. As a transplant to the City who had dates native NY men and transplants, I have to say I think I shd stick to the transplants. I think I am well suited for them. And your control alt del is a good message that I shd keep handy in back pocket. I have no idea why nice girls seek bad boys. Tapan is a catch and not a back-up.

xo,
Desi Girl

101 Bad Desi Dates said...

Dear Anonymous ...

Agreed, I do deserve better. I am sure even T&C would agree. And God only knows what his deal is, and we're all entitled to our deal.

And you are so right about the ridiculousness being unsustainable ... that is the tipping point / the point of no return, which I clearly have not reached with T&C.

xo,
Desi Girl

Dhak-Dhak Girl said...

I've been reading your blog avidly for a month now. You write so well I found myself forgetting it was a blog and thinking,"The way this plot is going, she'll end up with Tapan." And he does seem great, especially his supportive nature compared to Town and Country's yanking-you-around routine.

But why did that comment about women come up? Misogyny is so unattractive. I hope Tapan's not a hater.

101 Bad Desi Dates said...

Dear Dhak-Dhak Girl,

Your comment was a complete treat, thanks for you kind words about the ease and flow of the writing!!!

And Taps DEF is more of a gentleman than perhaps T&C, but you are right that odd comment about women is something that made me shake my head with wonder. It was the one thing about him that never really jived and lead me to think there some deeper issue there. Why I am not that clairvoyant with T&C, I do not know!

I hope you keep reading!

xo,
Desi Girl

Baha'i Temple said...

DG, I think you need to lighten up a bit....it sounds like you kind of jumped down Tapan's throat for the comment he made...it's a fact that no one, man or woman, likes agressive people...I think you should have used a bit of humor in that situation, and imparted your wisdom in a calm manner...that is the way to make a point...and a longlasting relationship.

101 Bad Desi Dates said...

Dear Ba'hai Temple!

Happy New Year and thanks for the comment. You are right on one hand it does seem aggressive and it was weird the moment just took us. And yes no one wants someone aggressive in the long term. It is rather amusing that the Swamiji found it stimulating. I wish I had photos of his face, as we watched with fascination. It was actually a surreal evening!

xo,
DG