Sunday, July 31, 2011

416. SORRY FOR DOING THE RIGHT THING


Back in my New York life I am riding the bus (love the bus). Based on my f-bomb drive through suburban St. Paul – I think everyone would agree that the world is best served if I am driven, not driving.

I am sipping a Diet Coke as the bus slowly rolls uptown along Third Avenue. I am meeting Haynes Thomas and Tate to see a movie (something I so rarely do, especially in a movie theatre). It is not that I am opposed to seeing movies. It is just that (a) the theatre in my neighborhood is not that nice or new and (b) if I want to see a movie with a friend I have to come downtown. I can’t get anyone who lives south of me to visit me more than once. Except Meera, she has come to visit me twice. Also I am not someone who wakes up on a Saturday afternoon and thinks “let’s see a movie”. I am either going to the gym to take a spin class or running the requisite weekend errands (Target, groceries, dry cleaning, etc.).

At some point I zone out, lulled by the motion of the bus. When my phone alerts me to a text message it abruptly shakes me out of my reverie. Thinking it MUST be Tate or Haynes Thomas asking about my ETA, I flip open the phone to find this:

Text from 718-xxx-xxxx: Hey how are you? We should get together.

Hhhmm. Who the eff is this, I wonder. Of course I presume it to be the wrong number, and I out of courtesy write back: Hey, I think you have the wrong number. I don’t know you.

718-xxx-xxxx writes: No, you know me, it’s Flyboy.

Ugh. Didn’t I leave him a message a few weeks ago telling him thank you, but no thank you, so I write back: Oh. Didn’t recognize the number.
Flyboy writes: Why not? Didn’t you put me in your phone?
Me: No.
Flyboy: Oh. Well never mind – I was wondering when you wanted to get together.

Really? Hhhmm. How to address this? I write: I don’t know if this is such a good idea.

Flyboy writes: Why? Because I called and texted to make sure you weren’t waiting for me? I’m sorry for doing the right thing.

Okay. This guy is persistent and a little bonkers. So I decide that he is someone who needs to be SHOWN not TOLD that this (he and I as a couple) won’t work. I think that the best thing to do is to meet him and DEMONSTRATE through words and body language that we are not a match.

I write: Sure. How about next Saturday.
Flyboy writes: Great. See  you then.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh Desi, what happens next! hahahah
Milly xxxxx

101 Bad Desi Dates said...

Dearest Milly -

OMG - right - I know - just when you think life is getting dull it ramps up .... more on Tuesday. This was Friday's post and now I am putting up today's post.

xo
Desi Girl

Adventurous Ammena said...

wow be careful hun... tell someone where you will be and make sure they get in contact with you to see you are still in contact with the world.. I think this guy is slightly loony

101 Bad Desi Dates said...

Dear Adventurous Ammena -

I know - def - must remember to meet in a well lit public place!

xo,
Desi Girl